Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Happy, Happy Birthday Sam!

Sam woke up this morning singing "Happy Birthday to Sam!" I guess we've been singing it enough for him to have learned it in time for his birthday today. He will also proudly say "2!" when asked how old he is. Here are a few pics from the family party we had for him on Sunday. Ed and I made him and "excavator" cake:) Lots of work, but he loved it!
I saw a picture of this cake here and with a little encouragement from Ed, knew we had to give it a go. It was my first time working with fondant...not totally difficult, but definitely not as easy as they make it look. It was nice to try something different, but next year I'll probably do something a bit easier:)
It was Nana's birthday too and Uncle Rick's birthday (my mom and uncle). So we did lots of singing. Sam loved that part!
Then of course there was the overwhelming for a 2-year-old gift opening part, but he had help from cousin Livia. He put a few of his gifts to good use right away!



These bottom two pics are of books that make real noises of cars and construction equipment. Sam has been playing with them nonstop since he got them. Have I ever mentioned that he loves cars and construction equipment?? (wink, wink)
Happy Birthday my sweet, sweet boy! I love you more than I can put into words. You fill my days with sunshine (and business:) I look forward to watching you grow and learn in the days ahead. Daddy and I are so proud of you!







4 comments:

Ele said...

The one of him smiling with his cake looks like Unca Chris when he was little.

Can't wait to visit you guys!

Frizzy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR SAAAAM. HAAAPPY BIRTHDAAAYY TOOO YOOOOOU! And a pinch to grow an inch and a sock to grow a block and a kick not to get sick! Hugs from all of us on your big day! Wish we could be there to party it up with you! Soooo fun!

Frizzy said...

Jessica, I so wish I could have bet money on what cake you would be making. I would be one rich lady. Although, I NEVER would have guessed that you would use Fondant! YOU GO GIRL! The line has been drawn you'll have to outdo that cake from here on out! I wish you the best. ;) You ROCK!

Cameron said...

Wow, that cake is amazing! I have never tackled fondant and have no desire to try... of course that may change when we have kids and I need to make birthday cakes. I'll just call you first and you can talk me out of it, right? :) Great job on the cake and on two years as a great mom! :)