Sam helped us get started by cleaning the windshields when filling the tank with gas.
Our first stop was one of Wisconsin's many "creameries." I had picked up a map at one of our county fairs and brought it along for the trip to look for a spot that would be on our way. When we got there, we discovered they had peddle tractors...Sam's favorite! The kids were excited to do some pedaling.
We all enjoyed ice cream for our morning snack:)
The kids visited with Crystal, the calf that was located by the pedal car track.
Our next stop was Wisconsin's Merrimac ferry. It is a free ferry that takes about 15 cars across Lake Wisconsin in just a few minutes.
Ferries are always exciting!
We were able to get out and enjoy the ride across the lake.
Then we stopped for lunch at a 50's diner. The kids were all so good and ate so well...the waitress even commented how good they were. It rained while we were eating lunch, but we could see blue skies in the distance.
When we arrived at our destination of Devil's Lake State Park, the skies were clearing. As we took off for our hike, the sun came out. People crowded to the trails.It was a beautiful afternoon and the kids LOVED the rocks along the trail. In fact, we really didn't end up hiking much, rather there was a whole lot of rock climbing.
This park is so beautiful and so different from others we've been too.
When I look at these pictures, I can't believe I let them climb this high without one of us there. I'm sure there were comments from people passing by on the trail. Crazy parents...look at those little kids climbing up there without anyone with them. These rocks are huge, but our kids are great and careful climbers, which is why we probably let them take off on their own and stood back to watch.
After the park we stopped in the town of Montello. I had heard about this candy shop and thought it would be fun to grab a few things for the ride home.
We looked at the waterfalls at the granite quarry in town. It was a beautiful evening and we had been fortunate to have such a nice day.
We stopped for a simple supper and then headed home. We enjoyed the country scenery while gobbling candy during the ride.
It was one of many road trips that I hope to take. The kids are all great travelers and we all love seeing new things. It was a fun day, especially because it all took place without too much planning. Memories were made and future ideas were sparked.
















2 comments:
This looks like a great time. Wish I could have been there. Did Ed show you where we used to go rappelling at devil's lake?
So much fun! Another great trip! Good job Jess!
Post a Comment