Monday, September 15, 2014

House and Yard Work

Fall has not officially arrived, but it sure feels like it around here.  But that's okay, because this is the best time of the year, in my opinion!  The weather is perfect for working outside and the bugs are not swarming and everything isn't so "lush."  It's hard to weed and keep the yard looking tidy in mid-summer when everything grows.  What can I say...I like a tidy yard and that's a BIG job with 5 acres!  But even if it is a lot of work, it sure is a lot of fun for our family too.

Speaking of family, here are the kiddos.  Not sure what Sam is thinking, but I'm pretty sure he was about ready to be released from the double hug grip:)  Love this photo of all 3 of them though!
Labor Day meant the start of a big residing project around here.  We definitely put the "labor" in Labor Day this year.  Ed and Sam worked hard all 3 days and were able to accomplish a lot!
 The girls (okay, probably just Mollie with Emmeline as her side kick!) even got in on the job.
Fortunately we don't have to reside the entire house, but are hopeful to complete about half of the house either this fall or maybe in spring.  Painting will definitely have to wait until spring, but that is okay.
I was amazed at how hard Sam worked.  I ended up keeping myself busy with some massive weeding projects because Sam was such a great helper for Ed.  My dad came over one day too and then Sam said that they really got a lot done with all 3 of them!  Wish I could find that picture of all 3...still unorganized with pictures around here.

Labor Day weekend for Ed also meant the start of a 3 credit Chemistry course he has to take for work.  So evenings for the next 5 weeks now consist of studying and course work.  Good thing he has a sidekick for this job to keep him company:)
This weekend we took advantage of the cooler temps and sunny weather and worked around the yard.  We did lots of brush pulling and tree trimming.  It seems this is a never ending job around here.  But Ed and I both love this kind of work, so when the weather is right and the time is available, we are happy to get to it.
Not sure how much "help" these 3 were as they seemed to be arguing over everything this weekend, but they were outside with us and carried a branch or two or three:)
Another project crossed off the list was putting up this skateboard swing. The kids all thought it was too wobbly at first, but once they got used to it, they were once again fighting over whose turn it was and who was staying on too long.  No sounds of silence around here!
And another fun moment I captured...the kids love getting mail from our mail lady.  She loves seeing the kids and always has some kind words and even an occasional treat for them.  I think she looks forward to seeing them as much as they love going out to see her!
Funny how it isn't even officially fall yet, but fall has sure arrived.  That's okay, because we love fall around here!

1 comment:

Kat said...

Yes! I am finally feeling excited about fall. I always hate to see summer end but I do love fall too. Fabulous fall.
I definitely have to get to winterizing my garden and stuff yet too. At least pulling a bunch of weeds and thinning out my plants. But I just haven't been able to find that much time lately. It takes a good chunk of time.
My kids love our mail man too. And he loves them. It is pretty cute. They love running up to the truck to get the mail. Very sweet.
Enjoy your fall!