After a positive pregnancy test back in July, Jess went for her first ultrasound to get a glimpse of Baby Eisenhauer at 6 1/2 weeks. The ultrasound tech. seemed to be taking a long time. Finally she turned the monitor to me and said "I think I know why you have been feeling so sick lately." She proceeded to point to the not one, but two little fetuses on the ultrasound screen.

I proceeded to stare at the screen with my mouth open, unable to speak because I was in complete shock. This was never even a blip on the radar that it could even be a possibility when thinking of having another child (twins do NOT run on either side of our families). My mind was already reeling with questions of "is our house big enough" "do we have to get a bigger car" "how on earth am I going to be able to handle this" "how is Sam going to adjust"...just to name a few. To be perfectly honest, I was struggling. I should have been jumping for joy at such a God-sent blessing (after all, He knows much better what I can handle than I can, so how can I judge Him for leading our lives in this direction), but I was stuck in the "How on earth are we going to be able to do this?" phase. I feel guilty for even admitting it, but that's the honest truth. These past few months have been a time of mental acceptance and severe morning sickness. Then today I was driving home from an appointment with my Ob doctor, and this song came on.
Sounds Like Life to Me by Darryl Worley and I felt like I was finally able to accept and focus. It is amazing how certain songs seem that they were written to help you through life's ups and downs...this one has become my motto for this pregnancy and the adjustment our lives will be making. It's words hit home and really comforted me and allowed me to accept and maybe even embrace what I had been struggling with.

Look at these little guys/gals?, just 13 weeks in utero. How can you not look at them and just be amazed...yes, a little dazed yet, but definitely amazed at the miracle of it all? So I will take this one day at a time, and remember that yes indeed this is what Life is all about. No matter how hard we try to plan and predict, life will always swing us in directions that we never even anticipated. And that's a good thing:)
8 comments:
YAHOOOOOOOOO! Hello sweet babies. I can't wait to meet you! Be nice to your mommy OR ELSE aunty Frizzy will come TICKLE TORTURE you! Ok, I won't do that but I might KISS YOU an aweful lot and pinch those tiny little cheeks of yours. A little more than 5 months aye?
I'll tell you what,give your mommy a break and let her eat something. You won't regret it. You might even like it. I'll even ask her not to eat any yucky spinach or liver. LOL I might even encourage her to eat lots of pumpkin pie with ice cream but you have to be nice!
WOWZERS!!!!!! Okay, I now have THREE friends pregnant with twins!! One is due in November and one is just 10 weeks along so far (she did IVF but remarkably the twins are identical, so not a result of the multiple embryo transfer, totally rare). CRAZY!! Congratulations! I *love* that song. I know everything will be great! :) I hope you feel better! :)
My friend Frizzy sent me over. Congratualtions to you!! You are right in that God has it all planned. He never makes a mistake and there are no accidents.
Short story. My brother and his wife have two sets of twins in four pregnancies. One set is fraternal and one set identical. Neither family has a history of twins. Laura and John made it and you will too!! God is so good!
Hi! Frizz is a friend of mine, too. And I have twins (plus two more). I remember finding out and then being doubly worried about EVERYTHING. Not overjoyed. Just scared!
Hopefully, you like attention - cuz you think people rub your belly and have lots of 'unwelcome' advice when you're showing preggers with just one...I started fibbing and saying, "Yup. It's a big one all right" instead of going into how it was two...at least on those days I was exhausted and didn't want to go into it...and people will CHASE you down at WalMart to see two car seats holding precious babies in a shopping cart. At least they have carseat stickers nowadays that say, "Please don't touch my baby" in very nice words about health and spreading germs and leaving sweet mama of twins alone...
I'm not saying any of this to frighten you - it is so laughable in retrospect.
You well know they will be the joy of your life. And their big brother will dote on them and love all the extra attention, too. The first year was a challenge - and it is for any new mama and baby. After that, (and even during that!) it has been every bit as wonderful blessing.
Enjoy! Because even this will pass and you will miss the individual movements and schedules they keep - even in your growing belly!
Blessings to you and your extending family,
Karin
Hi girl - I am over from Frizzy's Congratulations! I am a mom of just turned 2 year old twins and lives in South Africa. Pop by, I have just published in the past week the story of our twins - it might help. I also have a lot of fellow multiples moms on my blogrol. You can check out the MOMS button and join - there is a section for preggy twin mommies as well.
God's love and light to you and your family.
I came over via Frizzy too.
Congratulations Jessica & family.
I am a mum of 3yr old twin boys.
I have news for you...twins run in every family, upstairs downstairs and all around the house ...but it is all good news.
If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts !God touched our hearts so deep inside our special blessings multiplied.
Twice the smiles, twice the hugs,
Twice the troubles, twice the tugs,
Twice the nappies, coos and sighs,
Twice the fun and late night cries.
Two stuffy noses, two first smiles,
Double the joys and not double the trials.
Twice the wonder a baby brings,
Twice the feelings that make your heart sing.
Two gifts from God on one joyous day,
Double the love ♥ and laughter
He sent our way.
here's a link for your header question --- she goes through a step-by-step tutorial how to do it (you just have to download picasa [for FREE] if you haven't already). Plus, today's post 9.29.09 is another one about headers and Picasa. Right at the beginning of the post, there's a direct link to the first one on how to make the header. I haven't actually tried her directions - instead I spent a whole night googling and trying to figure it out on my own, and so I did mine slightly differently (I copied her header look before she posted the tutorial)...I'm going to try Sarah's way when I update my header.
All that to say:
http://memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com/
And fire away with any questions. My only prob is that all my other kids came AFTER my twins, so I'm not much help on adjusting with Big Brother. There is a wonderful Mothers of Twins group throughout the country - I joined when I was pregnant and never had time to get involved once they came (my daughter was born with an unexpected heart defect...leading to QUITE a challenging first year)...but you may want to look into that, too.
Talk to me any time! A friend of Frizzy's is a friend on mine :)
Karin
First of all...congratulations! Twins...I always dreamed of twins! You can do it...get some good twin advice from someone who's been through it and remember the hard baby stages go so fast! Enjoy it...every single minute.
Also...email me for help with your blog header if still interested...there are a couple things you can be doing wrong...
slt3969@gmail.com
Post a Comment