Summer finally feels like it is in full swing and we've been busy checking things off of our summer list lately! We made this list as a family at the beginning of summer. It was fun to see what the kids (mainly Sam at this point) thought of. And I have to admit...I do like lists! They help keep me organized and I can always look at this when I'm having a brain fog and can't think of what we should do:)
Something that wasn't on the list was to have a rummage sale. I've been wanting to have one for awhile, but we don't live in a spot where we would draw great rummage "traffic," so the idea of lugging everything somewhere else wasn't that appealing...but it needed to be done. We needed to get some things OUT! We were pretty successful, but it was exhausting and I'm SO glad it is over!
We enjoyed 2 rounds of fireworks this year. The first round was quite chilly...possibly the coolest I ever remember for fireworks this time of year. But we still enjoyed ourselves.
The kids had fun entertaining themselves while waiting for the fireworks to start:)
Just look at this pile of kids!
Sparklers were a hit this year. I wish I would have bought more. The kids couldn't get enough of them!
We took the kids strawberry picking. It was the first time for the girls to go. I'm pretty sure they ate at least 3 for every one that went into the box:) But we love to get fresh strawberries while we can!
Ed and the kids are back to frog hunting again. Just look at those big frogs the girls are holding! We've had so much rain this year that the water and frogs are back in our front yard. The kids LOVE looking for frogs!
We enjoyed our annual 4th of July parade. Not as hot as last year, thank goodness, but just as much candy:) Plus they handed out Popsicles this year...they hit the spot!
This weekend we set up the tent and "camped" overnight in our back yard. The evening wouldn't have been complete without trying to catch fireflies too. There were so many of them it was a great chance for the kids to catch some! It brought back so many memories of when I did this when I was little and I love seeing them have so much fun doing the same thing!
Everyone did great in the tent. Now we may have to try real camping. But boy is it a lot of work for Mom and Dad!
And to top it off, we finally took our first canoe trip with the kids this weekend. We wanted to do this last year, but didn't have enough rain, so the creek was too low.
The kids did great and we all had so much fun! They loved getting out in the shallow areas to explore and find clam shells.
And when we reached our destination, they all got our and played at the edge of the creek. They even found a (dead) crayfish that Ed helped them get and look at. I love that they enjoy all of these hands-on activities and hope we are able to find ways to keep them curious and interested in nature and the world around them.
This week Sam starts swimming lessons, so a whole new round of business will begin. Our summer has been going well and is going by pretty fast as usual. The days are busy and often crazy and I'm usually exhausted, but I'm so thankful I get to spend them with these 3 kiddos!
2 comments:
wow! Jess, action-packed and what a lovely write-up with pictures.
Woah! Look at that covered bridge in over the stream! How gorgeous is that? Beautiful!
It sounds (and looks) like you are having an awesome summer! Making such wonderful memories with your kiddos. Well done, mama (and daddy, too!)! So much fun!
I like the idea of the list too. I may have to steal that since we have so many things we want to do yet. :)
Also, you asked me how I make the collages on my blog. There is a site called PicMonkey and it is free. You can touch up photos or make the collages. It is so easy too. It is awesome! :)
http://www.picmonkey.com
Post a Comment