Sunday, July 21, 2013

Swimming!

The weather has been hot and humid here the past couple of weeks.  Sam started swimming lessons just in time to enjoy being in the water, rather that suffering during the previous weeks of unusually cool weather.
While Sam has lessons, I am able to enjoy some time in the water with the girls.  I love that our pool is open for "Tot" swim while swimming lessons are going on.  The girls wouldn't stand for sitting out and watching Sam swim, especially in the heat.  And besides keeping them entertained, it has really helped them get more comfortable in the water.  Next year they'll be starting swim lessons too and I'll actually be able to sit and watch ALL of my kids in lessons:)
Sam has been flying through his lessons with great progress.  I was sure he wouldn't pass this level he was in because it is a challenge and required many skills I didn't think he was close to mastering.  But he worked really hard and is making great progress.  I'm almost nervous to put him in the next level because I'm afraid he isn't ready.  But his instructor thinks with a little more hard work he'll do fine.  He went off the diving board and swam under water to the edge of the pool for the first time on his last day of lessons (in his words, he's not as good at swimming on top of the water yet).  WOW!
Sam has loved going down the big slide this year too.  It's so fun and a great relief that he is becoming a better swimmer every day.  Once he's a bit more confident in the deep water, I'll be able to breathe easier:)
 The girls have enjoyed some sunbathing...drying off time after swimming too.
 I love this picture of Sam playing in the water fountains!
 He loves nothing better than to turn all of these off an on during open swim time.
 The girls are happy to get their feet wet...
but aren't so crazy about getting their heads wet.  But Sam used to be the same way, and now he doesn't stay above the water for long!  Mollie is trying to go under, but just can't quite get the needing to breathe out thing mastered yet.
 There's been lots of water at home too.  Driving their bikes through the sprinkler is always a hit.
On Sam's last day of swim lessons on Friday, I treated the kids to their first snow cone.  It was so cute seeing the girls stand in line and ask for what they wanted.  They were quite proud of themselves.  And listening to them chat with the little girl in front of them about their big brother who just turned 6, was priceless:)
 I think they look better than they taste, but the kids had fun with them.
We love our swimming pool.  The lessons are great...the Tot Time swim is great and the pool is just fun for all of us.  We have another round of swimming lessons to enjoy yet, so I hope the weather continues to cooperate!

1 comment:

Kat said...

It has been such a cold summer around here. We've only been able to go swimming a few times. Such a bummer.

It is amazing watching your kid learn something as important as swimming, isn't it? Awesome.