
This year, I decided to do something different for Christmas. I feel like the true meaning of Christmas is often lost in the commercialism that comes with it. I want to feel the joy of the season, not the stress of checking "must get gifts" off my list...emptying my wallet and not leaving me feel like I am truly
giving as Christ intended us to give. Sooooooooooo...my idea sparked to life after reading a
blog post from my good friend
Frizzy. Her friend's husband is currently stationed in Afghanistan, for the 3rd time. My heart went out to him, and all the other soldiers who are risking their lives everyday for our freedom. We can't even imagine the conditions they are living in day by day...far from the comforts of home and family. So I became a woman with a mission. This year, instead of getting each of my friends a gift, I am going to put together a care package and send it out in all of our names, in hopes that it will bring a bit of hope and comfort to the soldier/soldiers who receive it. I received an email from Frizzy that led me to discover
Soldiers' Angels a "non-profit, volunteer-led organization that provides support to deployed and wounded soldiers and their families". This organization is amazing as far as I am concerned. They have a ton of ways that you can get involved and support a soldier and many require very little time or money. Check out their website...I dare you! Another website to check is
Sew Much Comfort a "non-profit organization that provides adaptive clothing to injured soldiers at every military hospital in the US, as well as several overseas".
Through Soldiers' Angels, I finally found a place to send that package I have been putting together. I "adopted" a soldier. This is something that will require quite a commitment on my part, as I am required to send one letter a week and 1 or 2 packages a month for the length of her deployment (which can vary from 6 - 12 months or longer). Packages can be simple and they give you many ideas of what you can send and your soldier will usually have requested items that they cannot get where they are located. I look forward to learning more about the soldier I have adopted. I am excited about where that email from Frizzy has led me...I feel like I am finally giving.
2 comments:
Awe Jess! I feel the same way. I baked cookies for an entire afternoon. 4 batches and 8 dozen or so later I was pooped. I also added things like pens and flashlights we had. We learned each time the soldiers go off base kids swarm them for treats like these. Even something as simple as a granola bar makes them happy. Can't imagine our own children living in a war zone. Esp. one where bombs are anywhere and everywhere unbeknownst to the passers by. I read an American's blog who is working in Afghanistan. Her company's job is to locate and detonate old bombs from these wars so innocent people aren't harmed. Soooo sad. I love you my dear!
I also included other things like your Peppy Popcorn, beef Jerky, nuts, dried fruit, candy and such. Didn't want you to think I only sent cookies.
Post a Comment