Monday, May 6, 2013

Can We Sleep in the Play Fort???

This weekend was beautiful!  We were outside a lot and got a lot of work done in the yard and around the house.  It was SO nice to be outside.  So I wasn't surprise when Sam came to me in the middle of the afternoon and asked, "Can the girls and I sleep in the play fort tonight?"  I didn't even hesitate and said, "Sure!" (because I knew that once it started getting dark/cold and they were out there on their own, they would be right back inside:).
So Sam dragged out all of their blankets and pillows, the girls brought books and they started their night time routine.  Sam read them their bed time stories...it was quite cute.  Then when it was time to settle down, they all got under their covers and got a kiss and I said "Goodnight!"  I walked inside and sat by the screen door folding laundry so I could see/hear what would happen:)
They lasted about 15 minutes.  I have to admit I did get a bit worried that my plan would backfire because they were all SO tired.  I told Ed, "just watch, they will all fall asleep and then we'll have to carry them back in or do something to scare them back in:)!"  Sam settled down but the girls were all excited (and it didn't help that it stays light so late now...not that I'm complaining, but it doesn't provide a great bedtime feeling).  I'm not sure if he just got tired of trying to get the girls to settle down or if they heard something, but all of a sudden blankets were being sent down the slide and everyone was packing up and getting ready to come in.  Sam walked in and said, "I guess we aren't quite ready to stay out there by ourselves yet."  I was glad he was able to come to that conclusion himself! 
But when the weather gets warmer, we plan to do a family sleepover in a big tent in the back yard.  A camp fire followed by a family camp out in our own back yard sounds like a fun summer activity to look forward too:)

1 comment:

Frizzy said...

I love it and love that you didn't say no like I probably would have because of the amount of work it takes to put up a tent. I love that you just let it all happen. Good for you!