Thursday, October 2, 2008

Storing Up for a Cold Winter!

It's been a busy week in terms of food preparation and storage for me! I'm turning into a regular Suzie Homemaker, and am loving it! A couple weeks ago I gave canning a try, with helpful hints from my mother-in-law or "MomE" as I like to call her. I was fortunate that my first try was successful. I canned six small jars of tomato sauce! Yesterday I gave it a second try and canned six jars of spaghetti sauce...my own version that used tomatoes, eggplant, onions and basil from my garden! This morning I made pesto, using a recipie from Ed's aunt Denise, that we have tried while spending time with them in California. And last but not least, I made my last two loaves of zucchini bread for the year. Sam LOVES zucchini bread and points to it as it cools on the counter, wanting to try some right away. I have some in the freezer, but will miss these fresh loaves I've made this past summer. I was so fortunate to have such a great first year with my garden. It makes me anticipate many more gardens I hope to plant and harvest in the future. Happy Autumn!!!

5 comments:

Cameron said...

YOU CAN CAN ONLY SIX JARS? Holy crap, I am not even kidding, I had no idea! My mom and grandma always canned like 40 quarts of something so I've never even thought about trying it since I don't want that much of anything. This opens up a whole new world! :) DUH, wow! :)

Thanks for the invite to the blog! :) Love it! :)

Frizzy said...

Um, how bout sending some Eisenhauer garden love this way. PLEASE?! I so envy your green thumb. I once again wish you were here. I have aske my mom to teach me such things but she says NO WAY too boring for her. Maybe I'll talk my MIL to teach me while she's here next week. Hmmmm.

Frizzy said...

I was just thinking of making a bunch of Giada's Spaghetti sauce on the way to the store today. Now you made me sure I need to do this. Luckily with her recipes I can freeze them in freezer bags. I saved 40.00 again. Gotta love the sales today plus my coupons I printed on line.

Michele said...

Wow. I can't can anything, though my mom does tons of stuff every year. Ahhhh, if I only have the time. This blog thing is cool. I need to put up a pic.

About the zucchini bread, you can freeze the shredded stuff & make fresh bread throughout the year. I know my mom does this. Not sure if the zucchini is raw or slightly cooked though... Do you have rhubarb growing anywhere? yum! That stuff is spendy here in LA.

Mama said...

Yum, I love zucchini bread. My mom always froze her extra zucchini by shredding it and then using it to make bread during the winter. Not sure either if it is blanched or cooked a little before freezing, but I think it is. I will check with my mom when I call her this week. Do you have pumpkins too? Pumpkin bread is good too.