I've known and loved her since 1st grade. And never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined her life would be cut short. Christy was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago while she was pregnant with her daughter. She had a c-section and mastectomy at the same time and has been battling a very aggressive form of breast cancer ever since. But if you met her for the first time, you would probably have had no idea. Christy has always been postive, cheerful and would keep others from feeling/sharing her pain.
When I was with her we were always laughing. She loved telling jokes and silly stories, just so we could laugh. You couldn't help but laugh when you were around her...and I love that I have such great, happy memories with her.
When we were in 7th and 8th grade, as well as our beginning high school years, we worked together at a local fruit farm. We grew quite close then as we spent so much time together after school and during the summer, laboring away in the hot sun for cheap farm wages:) We rode bikes to each others houses, had sleepovers and even traveled with each other. We knew each others parents well and felt as if we were apart of each others family.

In high school (we went to different high schools) Christy traveled as an AFS student to Honduras for several months. We wrote letters and even made cassette tapes to send back and forth. College visits were less frequent due to distance and life in general, but we still made the effort to see each other (as did we all with our close group of friends from our small Christian grade school).

We were both married in 2002. Christy in June and myself in October.

When Ed and I were stationed in Italy, Christy came to visit us 2 times! Her love of travel and friends abroad from AFS made us an easy reason to travel to Europe. She joined Ed and I on a 2 week cross-Europe road trip that was unforgettable.


I wish I had more recent pictures. The few I do have I'm having trouble uploading and arranging on this post...go figure. Christy is a beautiful soul. She is survived by her maternal grandparents, her parents, her older brother, her husband and her two children (ages 5 and 3), and many, many loving friends and family. If I had one word to describe her as I think of her today it would be GRACIOUS. In life and when facing death, she was nothing but gracious. It simply amazes me and honestly makes me fear death a bit less than I did before. Afterall, she is now someplace simply amazing, beyond earthly comprehension. Christy, you are so dearly loved and continue to live in our hearts. Thank you for so many fun, dear memories. You will be missed more than words can say, but you will not be forgotten as we will all find ways to keep your spirit alive.
3 comments:
Jessica, I'm so sorry to hear about Christy. I recall you talking about her many times over the years. I'm sending you and her family and friends prayers. I have a giant hug waiting for you when you arrive. I just wish I could give it to you now.
I am so sorry for your loss - this is the second blog in a row that I have read today where a friend was lost to cancer. I will keep you and her family in my prayers.
Oh dear Jessica. What a sad time. You have created a beautiful memorial to her in your blog. I hope you can show it to her family.
Wish I could give you a big hug as you grieve for her and all young people that leave us too early.
Post a Comment