Sunday, January 23, 2011

What's for Lunch???

I love it when people post recipie ideas on their blogs, so I thought I would do that same. It's fun to share food. I mean, who doesn't like to eat???
One of my missions for this new year is to eat better...healthier...WAY healthier. I want to learn about what food fuels my body and what foods to avoid. I've been doing a lot of research and am discovering patterns. Clear patterns of what to eat and what not to eat. I'm excited to change the way we eat. But I know it will be challenging, as we are surrounded by fast/processed food. It's everywhere. The good thing is that there are lots of healthy, whole food options that are becoming more widely available. And they are pretty darn yummy too:) As part of my journey, and so that I can look back and see the whole process, I've decided to document the changes we are making and what I am learning.

So what's for lunch? I made this pasta dish on Friday when my MIL was here and we needed a quick lunch.
Quinoa pasta with steamed swiss chard, diced tomatoes, garlic and white wine...and of course a bit of parmesean on top! Yum!
Today I spent a lot of time in the kitchen...trying a few new things. I made my own homemade mayo (trying to avoid the soy and GM - genetically modified- ingredients in all the store bought ones)...I used my mom's breadmaker to make a loaf of gluten-free bread...AND I even made my first-ever batch of granola that we'll eat with yogurt for breakfast. I like knowing what I'm eating. Figuring all of this out is a lot of work, but it is SO worth it.

Here's to lots of taste testing in the weeks and months ahead!

4 comments:

cat said...

Hmm, that pasts does look yummy.

Frizzy said...

Ok, Once you get it all figured out and find your favs be sure to send them on to me. LOL I love all that you are doing for your family my dear. I hope I can make a few changes too.

Frizzy said...

Oh! We had some gluten free snickerdoodles on Sat that were out of this world good.

Ele said...

Did you watch that little video about fat burning foods that I posted on FB a couple weeks ago? I loved it and am feeling inspired too.
(whole wheat and pasta is bad!) So many other grains--good. I just have to figure out where I can buy quinoa, etc. down here.