Saturday, May 26, 2012

Bike Ride!

I absolutely love it when something happens when you least expect it.  So many times I worry and plan and worry and plan (it's what I do best:) and then all of a sudden something happens to completely surprise me.

Sam learned how to ride a bike today.  I can't even believe it!  He did SO great and we were SO proud of him.  When Sam was only about 18 months old he got this Skuut bike from his Aunt Ele for Christmas.  It's a bike without wheels, so kids can ride it at such an early age and it really teaches them great steering and balance skills. 
Sam rode his Skuut all the time, until last year when he just got too big for it.  We have been trying to figure out what we were going to do for a bike for him this year.  We didn't want to do training wheels because we knew it would be a step backwards for him from how he could maneuver the Skuut.  He was itching to ride something and was often just using a tricycle so he could peddle and drive by himself. 
  
Then yesterday while I was mowing the lawn, Ed gave Sam a few little lessons on riding...and he did good.  Today, Sam tried it again and was doing well enough that we decided to take him to a big parking lot so he could have lots of room to practice on a flat surface.  He did fantastic!
 The smile on his face was priceless...pure joy!
And tonight...we went on our first family bike ride with Sam in the lead.  We have a quiet subdivision just down the road with a nice walking/bike path that goes around it, so that was a great spot to do a test ride. 
Go Sam!  You continue to amaze us and we are so proud of you!

No comments: