Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Just Mommy and Me...and a Few Frogs!

Sam and I had so much fun together today!
The MOMS Club that I belong to had an outing to a local nature center.
The focus of our guided tour was frogs.
Water, Boots, Nature, Frogs...I knew Sam would had fun and that we HAD to go!
So I found volunteers to watch the girls so that they could each have a little
one on one time too:)
And off Sam and I went to see the frogs!

When we arrived, our guide read a book about tadpoles and frogs while the kids ate a snack.
The snack was pretzel sticks (frog tongues) dipped in cream cheese which could then pick up raisins (bugs!). Yum!

Then off to the pond we went to look for frogs!

We saw a lot of little frogs and even found this great big bullfrog!

And then we saw a couple little turtles...

Sam was loving every minute of it!

Then our guide had the kids lie down on their bellies so that they could touch the water.
Sam was in heaven:)

We walked around the entire pond, searching for all kinds of creatures.

Then the kids had a chance to do a little pond excavating on their own.
They were given a sieve and could scoop some muck from the shallow edge of the pond,
then dump what they scooped into a container of water to search for living things.

Look what we found! We were told that this was a dragonfly larva.
Just as caterpillars turn into butterflies, this little guy will soon be a dragonfly!
Sam even picked it up for a second (and then quickly dropped it). I was shocked because
he has a fear of bugs, thanks to me:)

Our guide caught a couple frogs for the kids to look at.

She also found some tadpoles.

This tadpole had legs. What fun to see!

After our guided tour was over, Sam and I took another walk around the pond.
It was such a beautiful morning.
The weather was amazing and Sam and I were able to spend some fun quality time together.
I am truly blessed to have such an amazing little boy to spend my days with!

I love you Sam:)
Love Mommy

4 comments:

Ele said...

awwwww....this is great. Thanks for the play-by-play; it was just like being there!

cat said...

Oh this is such a great idea. I love that you get to spend time together in nature.

Frizzy said...

Costco has the coolest kit. It has a net, tweezers, magnafine glass and a few containers to hold bugs/sea creatures/fish you name it. We played with it down at our creek and had fun catching tadpoles too. I LOVE THIS POST AND SEEING THOSE SMILES ON YOUR FACES. Your note to Sam at the end made me cry.

Oh, one last thing, "GET OUT!" ;)

Cameron said...

This is so great! I remember doing stuff like this as a kid and it didn't occur to me until reading your post that I bet a LOT of people have never seen a tadpole with little bitty frog legs because they didn't get to do stuff like this as a kid! I'm so glad that you go to such lengths to give Sam (and you!) these memories and I'm so glad that you blog about it in your busy busy life! :) I like following along and you'll love having this to look back on! :)